The Sports Medicine team at Ross Medical Group offers personalized care including evaluation and treatment services to professional, amateur and recreational athletes of all ages and abilities. The goal of Primary Care Sports Medicine is to help patients decrease their pain and improve function so that they can safely get back to their activities. We offer comprehensive treatment and rehabilitation plans with the goal to get you healthy and active so you can perform at your best.
David A. Ross, MD
Dr. David A. Ross specializes in Primary Care Sports Medicine and is dual board certified in both Primary Care Sports Medicine and Family Medicine. While training at The University of Pennsylvania for his Sports Medicine Fellowship, Dr. Ross served as a team physician for the NHL Philadelphia Flyers and NFL Philadelphia Eagles. He has experience caring for professional athletes in primary care sports medicine and family medicine settings. He specializes in diagnosing and treating acute and chronic musculoskeletal conditions as well as general medical conditions in athletes.
Dr. Ross also served as a team physician for the Ivy League NCAA Division I University of Pennsylvania Quakers – where he cared for athletes in all of the University’s 36 varsity sports teams, including the Football, Lacrosse, Basketball, Track, and Field, Wrestling, Gymnastics, Tennis, Soccer, and Baseball teams, among others.
He was a Medical Captain for the Philadelphia Half Marathon, and has experience caring for athletes during the Philadelphia Marathon, Triathlon, and the Special Olympics. He has experience caring for pediatric, adult and masters athletes. He also has teaching experience in lecturing Family Medicine Residents as well as Medical Students at The University of Pennsylvania.
Dr. Ross also completed his Family Medicine Residency training at the University of Pennsylvania, where he focused on Hospital Medicine. He continued to practice Hospital Medicine during his Fellowship at the Hospital of The University of Pennsylvania. He is comfortable caring for patients with any acute medical problems that require hospitalization and values the continuity he shares with patients on both the outpatient office and inpatient hospital aspects of medical care.
Dr. Ross was born and raised in Miami and is an avid local sports fan. He completed his Medical School education at The State University of New York Downstate Medical Center, and completed his undergraduate education at Washington University in St. Louis – where he earned a double major in Finance and Healthcare Management. He has published numerous journal articles related to musculoskeletal conditions and has also published several book chapters in medical textbooks.
Services and Treatments
- Compartment Pressure Testing –
- Dr. Ross is specialty trained in the evaluation and diagnosis of exertional compartment syndrome as well as providing comprehensive treatment plans to athletes. We offer in-house, same day testing.
- Sweat Testing –
- Dr. Ross offers personalized sweat testing for recreational and elite athletes as well as hydration and electrolyte repletion recommendations. If you are an endurance athlete or exercising in the heat, it is important to know the composition of your sweat and how to best hydrate to prevent cramping, fatigue, injury and dehydration.
- Performance Nutrition Consultations –
- We offer individualized nutrition counseling for athletes of all levels and sports – whether you are looking to stay healthy or train for a particular goal, Dr. Ross can create a personalized nutrition program for your needs.
- PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) Injections –
- Used for certain tendon and muscle injuries as well as osteoarthritis, PRP is a form of regenerative medicine technique that Dr. Ross is specialty trained in to deliver with ultrasound guidance.
- Joint Injections and Aspirations –
- We offer ultrasound guided joint injections and aspirations for a variety of conditions including swollen joints, osteoarthritis, and tendonitis.
- Viscosupplementation Injections –
- Viscosupplementation is a treatment option for those with arthritis of the knee, shoulder and hip. It is administered through a series of injections into the joint. By replacing the thinned synovial fluid of the arthritic joint by Hyaluronic Acid, pain and function can be restored to the joint.
- Comprehensive Concussion Evaluation and Management –
- We provide baseline concussion testing, acute concussion evaluation and concussion recovery treatment plans including neuropsychological and vestibular-ocular testing.
- Bracing and Splinting –
- We offer in house bracing for all injuries and overuse conditions. You will leave our office with a properly fitting and appropriate brace for your musculoskeletal condition.
- Pre-Participation Physical Exams –
- We offer comprehensive pre-participation exams for all ages. Exams include a comprehensive sport-specific physical exam and can include cardiac screening, bloodwork and baseline concussion testing as needed.
- In House X-Ray –
- On-site X-Ray services are offered in order to help diagnose your condition as efficiently as possible. Dr. Ross will go over your X-Ray with you in person before you leave your visit.
- Patient Education –
- With his background in academic medicine, Dr. Ross believes that educating patients about their conditions and their treatment plan will give patients the best opportunity to recover and heal.
- Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation –
- Personalized one on one physical therapy is offered in-house at Ross Medical Group. Communication between your physician and physical therapist is seamless and in real time, offering you the best opportunity to recover as quickly and effectively as possible to get you back to being active.
- Pre-participation Physical Exams
- Concussion Evaluation And Management
- Sports Dermatology
- Return To Play Decisions After Illness Or Injury
- Pediatric Sports Medicine
- Female Athlete Triad
- Exercise-Induced Compartment Syndrome
- Knee Injuries
- Knee Osteoarthritis
- Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome
- Patellar Tendonitis
- Meniscus Injuries
- Knee Bursitis
- Ligament Injuries (ACL/PCL/MCL/LCL)
- Osgood-Schlatter Disease
- Foot And Ankle Injuries
- Ankle Sprains
- Stress Fractures
- Shin Splints
- Peroneal Tendonitis
- Turf Toe
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Achilles Tendonitis
- Sever’s Disease
- Wrist And Hand Injuries
- Wrist Sprains
- DeQuervains Tenosynovitis
- Trigger Finger
- Tendonitis and Sprains/Strains
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Thumb Arthritis
- Finger Injuries and Fractures
- Shoulder Injuries
- Acromioclavicular Injuries
- Impingement Syndrome and Subacromial Bursitis
- Rotator Cuff Tears
- Glenohumeral Arthritis
- Biceps Tendonitis
- Frozen Shoulder
- Scapular Dyskinesis
- Elbow Injuries
- Lateral Epicondylitis (Tennis Elbow)
- Medial Epicondylitis (Golfer’s Elbow)
- Hip Injuries
- Hip Bursitis
- Sports Hernias
- Hamstring Sprains/Strains
- Quadriceps Sprains/Strains
- IT Band Injuries